Tuesday, December 16, 2008

2008 Gonna Be Great??

When I'm not watching TV, I'm thinking. Deep thoughts. What I've been thinking recently was around this time last year everyone was into the catch phrase "2008 is going to be great". Yes, EVERYONE was saying it. While my love for rhyming is only second to my love of alliteration, I really like rhyming that's accurate. And lets all be honest, 2008 not that great. No, I'm not talking 2008 not great just on a personal Emily level, it wasn't that great on a world level (hello, recession). Now I don't think it was because 2008 was so awful I think it's more that we all had our expectations way too high (great, we wanted great). Some people may call me "negative" or a "pessimist" for this kind of attitude, but I prefer to say I'm just keeping it real or that I am even realistically optimistic. I wanted 2008 to actually be great, but that was never going to happen. 12 months is a long time. There were some great months, there were some bad ones. 2008 was an average year, like should have been expected, and people there is nothing wrong with average. Average is steady, it's reliable. I like average. Plus when you expect average when you get anything better it's an added bonus. Let me give you an example.
I've always tried to be an average student. Unfortunately for my average goal in Jr. High I was a way below average student. Like way below, I may of may not have had a 2.0 average going into 8th grade. As a student of a younger age my parents would financially reward grades (awesome). For my siblings they had to make the honor roll, for me I had to get a C (double awesome). Once I got to the average stage my parents were happy, I was happy, everyone was happy. Average was awesome. Eventually my grades got better, sometimes even above average and that was just extra exciting, but never expected.
Expectations add pressure. I don't work well under pressure. Apparently 2008 doesn't work well under pressure either. I don't blame it. When you start with great you are bound to fail. Luckily for me nine coincidentally rhymes with fine. So, 2009 probably going to be fine and if that doesn't work out 2010 is coming around the bend (boo yeah). Go ahead and think I'm negative about 2008, but I'm just keeping it real, that's how I roll.

7 comments:

Fish Nat!on said...

I'm just gonna throw out there that 2008 was rather below average. recession bitches

Mandy said...

2008 was pretty crappy around here, and every single one of my clients hated 2008. my boots are a little big so that makes me a little sad but oh well i will still wear them

erica said...

maybe you would have had a better gpa going into 8th grade if you wouldn't have been so busy picking on me in 7th!

Bree said...

i don't even know what to comment..except that you make me smile! it was great to spend a little ho ho ho time with you on saturday-wish it were more!

Gigi Jan said...

Em-you are a bright light in a sometimes very dark world! Please submit your whole post to newspapers around the world! Too good!
Love you lots!
Jan

Alison said...

WHERE ARE YOU?

Andrea Hatch said...

Emily, I'm so glad to find your blog! You're hilarious. 2008 was NOT that great...hopefully 2009 will be fine....but I'm not going to get my hopes up.