Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Proof I Still Exist.

Summer of Emily is in full force people, so either jump on or get out of the way. I thought the Summer of Emily circa '06 was going to be the peak of the overcoming fears. That was the summer my good friend Tom Swapp decided that something needed to be done about my "ridiculous" Emu fear and found a strange, little farm off the freeway in Orem, UT that had emus. One hot day we hiked in over the railroad tracks and got close and personal with the emus (and the buffalo who also lived there), afterwards he was so proud of me he bought me a snow cone. He's a heck of a human. '06 was also the summer I visited a construction site and climbed the ladder, it was a huge summer, but '08 is making bigger strides. Not only has Summer of Emily '08 brought many a spider killed by me (Ok, maybe by many I mean probably about four, but that's four more than I was killing in the Winter of Emily.), but it has brought the biggest fear leap to date.
I got a job (thanks to Bree, who is definitely cooler than "Felicity" on DVD). While this is a big deal in itself (First real job I've had in three and a half years, I have an appointed lunch break, and I even have to clock in!) what makes it Summer of Emily material is the fact that this job happens to be in a dentist office as a dental assistant. As all of you should know (because I blogged about it already) I had a terrifying experience with my dentist 7 years ago, such a terrifying experience that I have a legitimate reason for fearing dental appointments. Now I work for one, and kind of love it, but also sometimes it makes me want to throw up. I get to touch all those things you want to touch in the office, but are afraid you'll get caught doing. I get to push the buttons on the chair, I know the reasons the instruments smell weird, and today I even made an temporary crown. So while this job may not last forever (I sometimes wonder if I'm too much of a free spirit to be tied down by "the man" and I have some serious day dreams about working at the zoo.) the fear is conquered and no one can take that ways from me. In your face Summer of Emily '06.

9 comments:

Mandy said...

i also hate the dentist, glad to hear about the summer of emily...i can totally see you working at the zoo by the way

erica said...

what you are a dental assistant? I feel like you are a stranger in my life! did you go to school for that? sheesh! either way I'm proud of you even if I had no idea that you were doing this...thank heaven for BLOGS!

PS-can you hook a girl up with some free dental work or what?!?!

Bethany Peterson said...

you are the most lucky. i would give anything to be a dental assistant. i love the dentist. weird, i know. i also love you and i'd also love it if we stopped texting and blogging and actually saw face. what do you say my lady?

Kent Breard III said...

i love summer of emily.
can fall of emily include conquering your fear of homeless people that bite and growl in new york city?

Bree said...

i am truly proud to be cooler that "Felicity on DVD", it brought tears to my eyes!!! i also am proud to be part of the summer of Emily and can't wait for you to stare at my teeth on Sept. 4...please don't quit before then! love ya em!

Alison said...

newsflash: NO ONE LIKES BEING TIED DOWN TO THE MAN. IT SUCKS. But your job sounds fun cause you're not behind a desk all day...becoming so proficient on the internet that you turn into one of those people who knows as many cool youtube videos as a high schooler. cough. cough. HELP! I love you and I'm proud of you!

Fish Nat!on said...

does this mean you are not coming back to provo? or are you a provo hygenist? ill cut myself if you dont come back. i need you in my arm pit.

Melissa said...

In your face summer is so funny! We miss you hutch!!

kimmy girl said...

blog please. pretty please?