Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Baby Talk.

I have a new co-worker. She helps me with all my jobs and never complains about taking the trash out. Luckily she and I get along great, she has already declared us BFF's. She may or may not be five years old. She may or may not be my bosses daughter who comes to the office after her early morning kindergarten (which she hates, but she may need that french she's learning one day). While she may or may not be a lot of things, what she defiantly is, is wise beyond her years. A and I had a rocky start, she's a little shy, but eventually my warm smiles paid off and she started talking to me. Then this little incident happened in the lunch room.
A: Emily do you have a boyfriend?
E: No.
A: Why? I do. I have a boyfriend and he's a year older than me. I kissed my sisters boyfriend. We were playing "High School Musical" and he was Troy.

A then got a serious lecture from me about boyfriends coming and going, but sisters staying forever and how the Disney Channel was no longer an example of high morals (thanks a lot Miley). A also then seriously told her mom they needed to find me a boyfriend. You're nobody in A's world unless you're somebody with a boyfriend.

Fortunately A gave me (a complete boyfriend less loser) another chance and our friendship continued to grow. One day, because of my quest to win the McMonopoly, A and I were driving to the golden arches. On the way there she started singing a Columbus song (Columbus Day was quickly approaching and apparently her kindergarten had taught her this Columbus boat song) naturally I felt obligated to tell A the truth about Columbus. Then this happened.
A: What's a murderer? How do you even know this?
E: Because I'm the smartest person you know.
A: No you're not, you don't even have a boyfriend!
E: A, I could get a boyfriend.
A: No you couldn't.
E: Yeah, yeah I could if I wanted.
A: Ok, well if you get a boyfriend he should go to your school. He should be cute and if he's rich he could buy you a pony and you could name it Rainbow.

This logic all made sense to me, I would love to name a pony Rainbow. A may or may not be on to something. So while she may not know the definition of genocide (but she did think it sounds "stupid") she may or may not have all the solutions to life. Get a boyfriend. Get a boyfriend who can buy you a pony, sounds good to me.

9 comments:

kimmy girl said...

tears. tears of laughter. im even okay with A replacing me because she is too good to not be your BFF. MORE A stories please!!!

erica said...

the girl has a point...boyfriends totally define who you are! ha

Ps-if you want me to continue to collect awesome monopoly pieces I'm going to need a little feed back and encouragement!

Bethany Peterson said...

she's perfect.

Fish Nat!on said...

send me an email so i have your email address, i have a question to ask of you dearest emilykins.

love,
fishkins

drewfinch@gmail.com

SassAFrass said...

Dear Emily,
This girl has an amazing grasp on whats really important in life.Took me years to figure out,in order to lead a full and happy you life all you need is a boyfriend and a rich boyfriend is even better. I am still working on the pony part,can't believe how many guys out there just don't want to buy girls ponies. :(
PS Boy with glasses,I believe his name is Evan and I do believe he is currently living in Spain. Let you know if he ever returns.

Bree said...

if i didn't know A, i maybe wouldn't believe this story, but i do know her and of course it's true, i can picture her saying it all in the backseat of your car!it's cute you guys are BFF, Peyton is sad she is being replaced by a 20-something

Katie Irion said...

"Sisters are forever!" Oh man Em, you're making me tear up. If you really believe that and preach it to A you better take back all that crap you said about Samantha. You know you are just jealous of her fly clothes and possibly boyfriend options. Molly got's nothing on her!

Alison said...

I think you are lying to this kid. You have boyfriends a pleanty.

Bryan + Juli said...

Oh man this post is why I sign on to blogger.com. I just love a good story of child's first genocide lesson... the simple pleasures of childhood!