Monday, May 19, 2008

You're a wise man Oscar Wilde

Lately I have been thinking a lot about things I have wanted and haven't been getting, I know I am completely ungrateful. Then serendipitously I came across this Oscar Wilde quote "If you don't get everything you want, think of the things you don't get that you don't want." Not only was O. Wilde an 1800's babe, looks like he had a pretty good brain on him as well, real practical man. Anyway old Oscar got me to thinking about how lucky I really am and even in the worst of situations my life is still pretty great. After I made this realization I decided to make a list of things I am glad to not have.
1. Turrets Syndrome- See I use to think this would be a "fun disease", you could swear whenever you wanted and yell anything, but then I saw MTV's "True Life: I have Turrets Syndrome". This hour special broke my heart, poor Allissa was always being a real jerk about life. She didn't even have fun in Disneyland. That's how bad having Turrets Syndrome is, even a spin in the teacups doesn't make you smile.

2. While I love that Oscar Wilde, I am really glad that I was not raised in Ireland 1800's. I've been reading this book "The Burning of Bridget Clearly" (very good, I suggest it) and I tell you what females in Ireland 1800's did not have a lot of rights. Sad, little Bridget Clearly was burned to death because her husband was so intimidated by the success of her dress shop. I never realized how blessed I am to be born in the time and place I was.

3. I am really glad to not have a "throw down" with Bobby Flay. This weekend I fully realized the greatness of The Food Network and I watched about 5 episodes of Bobby Flays show (yes Dad I watched 5, but it was the weekend!). I would hate to be one of the chefs Bobby Flay throws down against. Talk about pressure! See, Bobby Flay finds someone he thinks is the master of one thing (IE. Biscuits and jam) and he tries to master this same cooking art and then Bobby Flay shows up at your restaurant and challenges you to a throw down. Yes, a cook off. Judges then come in and decide if you are the master of biscuits and jam (or whatever) or if Bobby Flay out cheffed you. I get anxious just thinking about being the challenged chef.

4. I'm really, really happy it isn't winter anymore. Life is so much harder in the winter. I am glad it is sunny and warm outside. I don't even mind a summer rainstorm.

That's all I can think to type right now although I know there are many, many other things. I will keep thinking and I am sure I can reblog about it.

5 comments:

Amy & Scott said...

I completely agree with you about the Tourette's (sp?) syndrome! I saw that same episode, TWICE and I felt so badly for them. Especially for the guys who wanted a kiss so badly and wanted to move out of his parents house. Anyway, keep blogin Em you keep my spirits up!!

erica said...

I too have seen that MTV True Life many of times and hated Allisa. I guess it wasn't her fault, but still get a grip on life! I think you should also be grateful that you don't live in Denver where everyone hates your religion and you have no friends...yeah that's a good! Just kidding, now look who has the bad attitude! I love you em! I can't wait to see you again and maybe even Deb some day so that we can share teeth stories haha SICK!

Fish Nat!on said...

I'm glad I am not a burn victim. Or a leper. Or a rat.
i love you
love, fishkins

Traci said...

I think that "Throw Down" is just a vanity project to make Bobby Flay constantly feel better about himself.
Yes! We get it! You are good! Seesh.

Debra said...

Em, I was in Oscar Wildes "Our Town" as the lead in 9th grade. Don't worry it wasn't a musical. Your know my talents. It was drama!!Glad to know your broadening your horizons my dear and goind for wise men. Love Mom